- This event has passed.
ONLINE free Coronavirus scam avoidance advice
October 14 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Our free Coronavirus scam avoidance session is an online Zoom session hosted by Becky De Rose of Carers’ Support East Kent who will be joined by our special guest Augusta Cook-Overy, Nat West Community Banker, based in Kent.
We’ve seen an increase in criminals exploiting the coronavirus and using this as part of their scam tactics.
We’ll discuss how we can avoid falling victim to this by looking out for:
• Impersonation scams and emails offering health updates or cures
• Paying for COVID-19 tests (these are free on the NHS)
• Claims you are due to receive a tax refund
• Purchase scams
• Offers to make quick money
• suspicious phone calls, texts or emails from anyone claiming to be from your bank or other trusted organisations (they’ll never ask you to share your full PIN, password, card reader code, one time passcode or to move money from your account
• downloading malicious attachments, software or letting anyone remotely log into your computer following a call or email you’ve received out of the blue
If you are ever asked to do any of these things, refuse and contact your bank immediately using the phone number on the back of your card or a number you trust.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to join our Zoom session which aims to reduce the chance of us getting scammed! Don’t worry if you are not sure how to join a Zoom group, Becky will guide you so you can join in.