“As Carers, everything we do revolves around the needs of the person we care for, but it would be amazing to just feel yourself for a little while.”
Being a Carer can be rewarding, challenging and exhausting, and many Carers find they don’t have time to look after their own health and social needs. Breaks from caring responsibilities can be a lifeline, but may not be easy to achieve, even more so during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 78% Carers in Kent say they don’t get the breaks they need (Kent Carers Matter 2019)
- 64% Carers haven’t been able to take any breaks from their caring role during Covid (Caring behind closed doors, Carers UK, 2020)
During our 20th anniversary year, we wanted to do something very practical for Carers. We are launching our Time for Me Appeal, to give East Kent’s Carers access to some time for themselves. Please support us.
4 ways you can support
1. Donate online – all amounts are welcome
However much you give, you will be helping to change the lives of Carers.
2. Take part in our ‘20 in 21’ challenge
Up for a challenge? Get sponsored to do something for 21 minutes, 21 hours, 21 days or 20 times, over 20 metres, 20 miles – the possibilities are endless! You could do this individually or with family, friends or colleagues either in person (if Covid rules allow) or virtually. Whatever you do, make it fun!
- Could you hop on one leg or hula hoop for 20 minutes? Every day for 21 days?
- Could you be silent (or stop swearing) for 21 hours? Or for 20 minutes for 21 days?
- Could you give up chocolate or alcohol for 21 days?
- Could you cycle, swim, run 2021 metres solo or in relay with family, friends, colleagues or at school/college? Between 20 of you that’s only 100m each. The distance across the English Channel is 21 miles, so between 21 of you, that’s a mile each.
3. Do a Bake 4 Carers sale
Get ready, set, bake! Challenge friends, family or colleagues to cook up a storm and see who the star baker is. Share photos of your master creations online for donations or, when safe to do so, hold a cake sale at work or school.
4. Choose Carers’ Support East Kent as your charity of the year
Select us as the nominated charity for your school, college, workplace, sports or community group and raise funds for our Time for Me Appeal. You could arrange a 20 in 21 fundraising challenge (above) or choose your own fundraising activities. We’ll help by providing posters, content for communications, a presentation about us and where the money will go, to get everyone motivated.
How will the Time for Me Fund help?
With your support, our Time for Me Fund could give a Carer in East Kent a much-needed break…a little me time to do the day-to-day, everyday things that most people take for granted. Here’s what some Carers have told us they need:
“Just some time to go shopping alone or walk the dog would help.”
“I crave some time to myself – to go to yoga or meet a friend for coffee.”
“I’d like to get some social life back, have a break to just be me.”
We’re hoping Carers will start to benefit from our Appeal later in the year.
*We will use surplus funds for our general charitable purposes to help us support and respond to all the needs of Carers.